Gaining work experience

If you’re considering a career in civil engineering, it’s a good idea to try to gain some work experience.

Not only it will help you to decide whether civil engineering is the career for you, it will also help with your applications for university, college or an apprenticeship.

Just starting out?

If you are a student who has just decided on a career in civil engineering, ICE offer further and higher education scholarships that help students to fund their further and higher education whilst gaining experience via a summer work placement

The Year in Industry scheme is another way for you to be able to gain practical experience within the industry.

How can I find work experience?

We suggest that you speak to your career advisor or teacher first about work experience. They may know of an organisation in your area who offers work experience. The Engineering Careers web pages below may also be useful:

National Careers Service The National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities
Bconstructive Guidance information and application process
Discover Engineering A gateway to hundreds of websites where information on how to become an engineer are available
Tomorrows Engineers Careers in engineering

Alternatively, you could approach an employer directly. If you're not sure which type of employer to approach, visit types of employer to learn more about different types of organisations that employ civil engineers. When contacting a potential employer, we suggest that you get in touch with the employer by sending a letter and your CV. Some of the major employers have local offices or branches so please use their website to find out if there’s an office near you.

If you are already a civil engineering student, summer work placements will help you put the theory you’re leaning into practice and decide which branch of civil engineering is the one for you. We suggest that you speak to your lecturer, ICE Student Liaison Officer or your ICE regional support team who may be able to point you to the right direction.