This award provides financial support of up to £1,500 for ICE members who are working within the industry but would like to return to full or part time study to further their professional development.
The aim of the award is primarily to support those in the profession that are returning to study in management or technical subjects. The award is not designed to fund courses that will be used alongside other qualifications as Further Learning in order to satisfy the educational requirements for an ICE membership grade.
You can apply for an award if you meet the following criteria:
- You must be an ICE Graduate or professionally qualified member
- You must have been an ICE Graduate or professionally qualified member for a minimum of two years prior to application
- You must have a minimum of two year’s experience of working within the civil engineering industry
- Your course must not be an ICE accredited Further Learning programme. (To find out if your course is accredited visit www.jbm.org.uk)
- You must not have already received more than three ICE QUEST scholarships or awards.
Applications are only accepted prior to starting a course and retrospective applications are not considered. Student members and PhD students are not eligible to apply.
Making an Application
Applications for this award are considered once a year and the deadline of the 26 April for 2013 applications has now passed. The next opportunity to apply will be in 2014 and exact application dates will be listed here in Autumn 2013.
To apply applicants will need to complete an application form, arrange for a referee to complete a reference form and provide a one page employment history. Referees should know applicants well enough to write about them and a reference from an employer expected.
Applications are assessed by the QUEST Committee and awards are discretionary in value up to £1,500.
Consideration will be given to the following:
- The quality of the application
- How much the course will benefit the applicant and their professional development
- The academic merit of the course
- How the course will benefit the employer and ICE
- The amount of financial support required
- The duration of the course
The decision of the QUEST Committee is final and feedback to anyone who is unsuccessful will not be given.
Award winners are required to submit a report of approximately 1000 words on completion of their course.