Experiential Learning

You can now become a Chartered Engineer (CEng MICE) through an Experiential Learning Assessment - either managerial or technical - instead of opting for a master's degree.

What is experiential learning?

Experiential learning is an option for engineers who want to become a Chartered Engineer with ICE (CEng MICE) but don't have the required academic qualifications. Ordinarily, the qualifications for CEng are at master’s level, either an MEng degree or an MSc with an accredited bachelor’s degree. 

To apply for an experiential learning assessment you must have an accredited bachelor’s degree or equivalent but instead of undertaking further formal academic study you show how your work-based experience gives you the same level of engineering knowledge and skills as someone who is educationally qualified for the grade. 

Following a successful Experiential Learning Assessment you will be able to complete your Initial Professional Development and progress to Professional Review.

The Experiential Learning Assessment process

You provide a written submission that demonstrates how you have achieved the master’s level learning outcomes. The guidance document explains the process. 
  • You must find a mentor to guide and support you. Your mentor will be an experienced engineer who understands the process and can verify that the submission is your own work
  • Your submission is assessed by two volunteer members 
  • You may be asked to provide additional information or attend an interview if they are unable to come to a decision based on your submission
  • We will email you the result of your assessment

Academic qualifications you need

Before you can apply for an Experiential Learning Assessment you will need to be an ICE Graduate Member and have an accredited bachelor's degree or equivalent. This confirms your eligibility for the assessment and which option you need – managerial or technical. 
Your Experiential Learning Assessment will depend on your academic qualifications:
  • If your degree is accredited at the CEng with further learning level (usually a BEng (Hons) degree (see JBM website), or has been assessed as equivalent, then you will need to complete the Managerial Experiential Learning option
  • If your degree is accredited at the IEng level (usually a BSc (Hons) degree), or has been assessed as equivalent, then you will need to complete the Technical Experiential Learning option

Applying for an Experiential Learning Assessment

You will need to send several documents with your application for us to confirm if you meet the academic base for CEng registration. 

Your Experiential Learning Assessment submission should include: 
  • An Experiential Learning Assessment form (maximum 500 words per learning outcome)
  • An extended CV 
  • Appendices (not more than 8 x A4 sides - this also includes 3 sides of A3 pages ) 
  • 3 years of previous CPD records
  • 1 year of current DAP records
  • A non-refundable fee 
  • A letter or email from your mentor confirming that your Experiential Learning submission  is your own work  and that you have gained the experience stated in your submission

Further information

You can  find out more about Experiential Learning in our guidance document