Finishing your civil engineering course is only the start of your journey in your professional career. Support is available - see below how ICE can help.

Recognition of your academic qualifications

The Engineering Council participates in a range of international agreements that recognise accredited engineering courses, such as the European Engineering Education database and the Washington, Sydney and Dublin Accords. Some authorities in the Middle East also recognise UK-accredited courses for professional engineering registration.

If you've studied an accredited engineering course or courses at one or more UK universities (for example, an MEng, or BEng plus MSc), they should be recognised under European or International Engineering Accords and will put you in the best position for global mobility after you graduate. Use the Engineering Council Course Search to check if your UK course is accredited and under which Accord it should be recognised. Please note that if your course is listed as “CEng (requires further learning)”, then you must also hold a further learning course listed as “CEng (is further learning)” in order for it to be recognised under the Washington Accord

In the same way, ICE recognises a wide range of non-UK engineering courses that are accredited by other bodies as meeting all or part of the knowledge requirements for professional qualification. We'll confirm if your course is recognised and for which grade when you join as a Graduate member.

If your course or courses aren’t accredited, it doesn't mean your academic qualifications won't be recognised, but you may have to submit additional information about your studies or undergo further assessment to qualify with ICE or register with another professional engineering body.

Working in the EU

The UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020. From then until 31 December 2020, there is a transition period while the EU and UK negotiate additional arrangements.

  • If you're not yet professionally qualified, but you have a UK engineering degree which is accredited for Engineering Council registration, you may still be entitled for it to be recognised as “regulated education and training” in an EU member state under the terms of the EU Directive on the recognition of professional qualifications - as long as you have obtained or applied for recognition before the end of December 2020
  • Recognition under the Directive is not automatic, however, and what you need to do to be “recognised” depends on the regulations in the host country. If it has its own national requirements for professional registration or assessment you will still need to meet them, the Directive just stipulates the way in which the relevant authority should assess the equivalence of your UK qualification
  • Please contact the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications for advice for advice about your right to practise the civil engineering profession in the EU or if you need confirmation of your professional status to apply for recognition.
  • The future terms for the mutual recognition of professional qualifications after 31 December 2020 will be negotiated between the EU and the UK during the transition period. The outcome of these negotiations may result in changes to the rights of UK nationals and holders of UK professional qualifications to practise certain professions. Therefore, if you’re living and working in the EU (or intending to) please check the latest Government advice for UK nationals living in the EU and the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications
  • For details of whether recognition is required, how to apply for it and what may change after the end of the transition period, please contact the relevant National Assistance Centre

Qualifying with ICE

ICE can support your initial professional development (IPD) and help your career progression wherever you are in the world. Your IPD Online training record can be transferred between approved employers you can begin or complete it with the support of an ICE-approved mentor instead of your employer.

We also offer Professional Review sessions in a number of locations outside the UK – details are available on the key dates section of our website.

Join ICE as a Graduate member

Becoming a Graduate member (GMICE) is an important step on your way to one of our globally-recognised qualifications. Having a professional qualification will boost your career development and employment prospects. We also offer tailored support, training and learning from other experienced professionals .

Join ICE today

student membership