Skip to content


Finishing your civil engineering course is only the start of your journey in your professional career. Support is available - see below how ICE can help.

Recognition of your academic qualifications

The Engineering Council participates in a range of international agreements that recognise accredited engineering courses, such as the European Engineering Education database and the Washington, Sydney and Dublin Accords. Some authorities in the Middle East also recognise UK-accredited courses for professional engineering registration.

If you've studied an accredited engineering course or courses at one or more UK universities (for example, an MEng, or BEng plus MSc), they should be recognised under European or International Engineering Accords and will put you in the best position for global mobility after you graduate. Use the Engineering Council Accredited Course Search (ACAD) to check if your UK course is accredited and under which Accord it should be recognised.

In the same way, ICE recognises a wide range of non-UK engineering courses that are accredited by other bodies as meeting all or part of the knowledge requirements for professional qualification. We'll confirm if your course is recognised and for which grade when you join as a Graduate member.

If your course or courses aren’t accredited, it doesn't mean your academic qualifications won't be recognised, but you may have to submit additional information about your studies or undergo further assessment to qualify with ICE or register with another professional engineering body.

Working in the EU

If you are unsure whether you need to obtain recognition of your qualifications or be registered to practise, UK Government advice is first to check the European Commission’s regulated professions database for the status of your intended profession in the relevant country. If it indicates that recognition is necessary, you should contact the relevant Point of Single Contact for that country.

If you need further advice or assistance after speaking to the Point of Single Contact please contact us at [email protected] (or UK NARIC if you are not an ICE member).

ICE members should contact us at [email protected] if you need confirmation of your professional status to register to practise or apply for recognition of your qualifications. Please also get in touch at [email protected] if you experience any difficulties or have any concerns about if or how your qualifications are being recognised and we will do our best to assist.

Qualifying with ICE

ICE can support your initial professional development (IPD) and help your career progression wherever you are in the world. Your IPD Online training record can be transferred between approved employers you can begin or complete it with the support of an ICE-approved mentor instead of your employer.

We also offer Professional Review sessions in a number of locations outside the UK – details are available on the key dates section of our website.

Join ICE as a Graduate member

Becoming a Graduate member (GMICE) is an important step on your way to one of our globally-recognised qualifications. Having a professional qualification will boost your career development and employment prospects. We also offer tailored support, training and learning from other experienced professionals.

Join today