Skip to content

Professionally qualified members

Your professional qualification is globally-recognised by employers and peers and can help you register with other engineering bodies outside the UK.

Explore the sections below to learn more about opportunities available to you around the world.

Membership and Registration with other engineering bodies

In addition to the agreements which cover recognition of academic qualifications, we have agreements for professional recognition that offer a streamlined route to professional membership and/or registration with other engineering bodies around the world. Please note that not all qualified members will be eligible for recognition under these agreements, and you should check the criteria carefully before applying.

If the agreements listed below don't cover your specific situation, please refer to our Advice and Guidance section.

Country Engineering Body Streamlined route to Criteria*
Australia Engineers Australia CPEng MIEAust 1, 2, 3
Any EEA country or Switzerland Relevant national competent authority see section below on Working in the EU 2, 8
Hong Kong Hong Kong Institution of Engineers Corporate Member Please download guidance M14343 and M3 1, 2, 3
Hong Kong Engineers Registration Board Registered Professional Engineer 1, 2, 3, 7
Ireland Engineers Ireland CEng MIEI
EngTech MIEI
Please contact Engineers Ireland membership team
1, 2, 3, 6
New Zealand Engineering New Zealand CPEng /CMEngNZ (Professional Engineer)

CMEngNZ (Eng Technologist)

CMEngNZ (Eng Technician)
2, 3, 5
Portugal Ordem dos Engenheiros Senior Engineer

Please contact the Engineering Council
2, 5, 6, 9
South Africa Engineering Council South Africa and SAICE PEng MSAICE 1, 2, 3, 4
USA – Idaho State Board Idaho State Board Professional Engineer

Please contact the Engineering Council
3, 9


  1. Must be a Chartered Civil Engineer
  2. Must have qualified directly with ICE by passing the Professional Review
  3. Will be expected to hold an accredited engineering degree(s) recognised under the Washington Accord to benefit fully from the streamlined route. If not, you may be required to undergo additional assessment of your academic knowledge
  4. Must be professionally qualified for at least one year before applying
  5. Must be registered with the Engineering Council at the equivalent grade
  6. Your rights to recognition under EU legislation and the Professional Qualifications Directive will supersede any terms of this agreement
  7. Must have at least one year post-qualification relevant experience in Hong Kong
  8. Must be an EU national/hold EU national rights
  9. Must be CEng registered with the Engineering Council

Working in the EU

If you are unsure whether you need to obtain recognition of your qualifications or be registered to practise, UK Government advice is first to check the European Commission’s regulated professions database for the status of your intended profession in the relevant country. If it indicates that recognition is necessary, you should contact the relevant Point of Single Contact for that country.

If you need further advice or assistance after speaking to the Point of Single Contact please contact us at [email protected] (or UK NARIC if you are not an ICE member).

ICE members should contact us at [email protected] if you need confirmation of your professional status to register to practise or apply for recognition of your qualifications. Please also get in touch at [email protected] if you experience any difficulties or have any concerns about if or how your qualifications are being recognised and we will do our best to assist.

International professional registers

You can further enhance your professional status by joining a specialist register after you've gained a professionall qualification, such as:

We also offer other specialist professional registers which will mark you out as an expert in your field, in areas such as ground engineering, conservation, security, and health and safety. Read the  full list of our specialist professional registers.