- 29 November 2022
- 08:00 - 16:00 GMT
Register to attend this event online.
A one day training course focussing on temporary works above ground. It is complemented by a similar training course focussing on works below ground.
The course encourages the exchange of experience by means of delegate comments and questions, group discussion and team exercises. Sessions include types of formwork and scaffold design.
Check out the companion course Temporary Works Design (Below Ground).
Temporary Works is a particular source of risk on site, both from a safety and commercial point of view. Following a series of collapses in the 1970’s, the Bragg report and subsequently BS5975 were produced, to assist designers and users of temporary works.
The industry still recognises today, along with the HSE, the risks associated with temporary works with the competency of the designer being a key point of concern.
Correct design, co-ordination and execution of temporary works is essential to the overall requirement of any project to be completed in accordance with safety, time and budget, health and environmental constraints.
Temporary Works design is different from design of permanent works in several respects, including:
- Importance of understanding site operations and constraints
- Need to work closely with the contractor
- Importance of erection methods and co-ordination
Temporary Works therefore has a code of practice BS5975 that in addition to technical issues also contains a section on procedural control and co-ordination.
Sessions begin at 9:00 and finish at 17:00. Morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch are included in the programme.
All times except the start time are approximate and may be adjusted to suit natural breaks in the lesson.
- Session 1 - Introduction and course expectations
- Session 2 - Procedures: BS5975, the roles in temporary works assurance, and other current guidance
- Session 3 - Legal aspects and the designer's duties under CDM regulations
- Session 4 - Wall and column formwork
- Session 5 - Falsework and soffit formwork
- Session 6 - Scaffold design
- Session 7- Forming openings in masonry walls
- Session 8 - Hoarding/gates and fencing
- Session 9 - Summary and close
For more information please contact:
- e: [email protected]
- t: +44 (0)20 7665 2457