Effective alliances recognise that developing and maintaining high performing integrated teams is a core competency and are committed to making the changes required to support integrated teams, including:
- An integrated alliance organisation:
- A proposed organisation model has been developed for the integrated alliance, with input from all alliance partners.
- The overall organisational model places an emphasis on developing the alliance around integrated delivery teams.
- Co-location of teams has been established, enabling the on-going development and operation of integrated alliance teams.
- An induction programme has been used to establish a shared understanding across the delivery organisation of the alliance purpose, the new ways of working and the key challenges.
- Maintaining high performing integrated teams:
- The process for selecting team members is clear and enables managers and team leaders to draw on individuals from across the partner organisations in a ‘best for the task’ process.
- An agreed process for the development of individuals and succession planning within the alliance is part of the offering to individuals when recruiting into the alliance.
- A process is in place for developing integrated teams, including opportunities for teams to collectively review their progress against:
- The behaviours required for the alliance to be successful.
- Their development as a high performing integrated team.
- The process for developing integrated teams provides each team with an on-going development plan based on agreed gaps in capability, operating characteristics and behaviour.
- A collective development plan:
- Selected alliance partners have agreed a development plan, immediately after selection, that takes account of feedback from the selection process.
- A performance structure that aligns teams around the agreed outcomes:
- The objectives set out for alliance delivery teams are clearly aligned with the overall customer or business outcomes established at the outset of the alliance.
- An initial performance structure has been developed with an emphasis on integrated teams having collective ownership of alliance objectives, rather than objectives being partner specific.
- Decision making responsibility and delegation has been clearly defined, providing teams with clarity on where governance responsibility sits across client, alliance and individual partners. This includes programme or project approvals and any subsequent exceptions process.
- Aligning individual objectives and development plans:
- Processes are in place to cascade aligned project objectives to individuals working in integrated teams. Including how an individual’s performance is reviewed and agreed within the integrated team – and then how performance is fed back to and managed by partner organisations.
- Planning for wider supply chain integration:
- A supply chain strategy has been developed as part of the overall implementation plan, ensuring the benefits of collaboration, integration and early partner involvement apply to the extended supply chain.
- Integration of the supply chain includes supply chain employees being considered within the ‘best for project’ approach to management roles.
- Maintaining the connection with partner organisations:
- Alongside the development of integrated teams there are clear connection points with the partner home organisations, through:
- Partner communication and engagement with their alliance employees.
- Capability networks mapped between the alliance and the home organisations.
- A collectively developed improvement programme:
- An improvement programme has been collectively developed in advance of the transition; defining the key change initiatives that will deliver the required performance improvement.
- The improvement programme includes initiatives that will provide teams with a collaborative approach to problem solving or continuous improvement. This could include techniques such as collaborative planning.
What comes next?
The next cell in the Alliancing Code of Practice grid is Delivering leadership
View the complete Alliancing Code of Practice grid