Who wrote this?
W. K. Fleming and Z. J. Sliwinski
It was first published in January 1977 and reprinted in 1986.
To assist the use of bentonite as a support fluid in construction.
Who should read this?
Anyone who is involved in pile construction who is considering the use of bentonite.
This 94-page book, out-of-print but available to buy as a photocopy from CIRIA, gives comprehensive advice on the properties, performance and application of bentonite in bored pile construction and diaphragm wall construction.The Report explains what bentonite is, how it works, and indicates how construction techniques could, in practice, have significant influence over the final behaviour of a load bearing unit.
The introduction of the Report also deals with:
- The extraction of bentonite from natural earth deposits
- Its structure
- The stabilising action of the slurry
- The effects of suspension contamination
- Filter cake formation
- The displacement of suspension from a borehole by concrete
- The technique of placing concrete by tremie
- The selection of appropriate concrete mixes for this type of work
- The effects of bentonite on the bond between steel and concrete
For more information and questions, please contact email@example.com.
Visit content host site