- 19 November 2023
- 08:45 - 14:00 HKT (GMT+8)
Hong Kong Geopark - Sai Kung Volcanic Rock Region 18 Wai Man Road Sai Kung Hong Kong
This event has now ended
You can catch-up on details or any broadcast and downloads here.
Despite Hong Kong being always known as a modern international city, her beauty of nature should never be neglected. Situated in less than an hour's drive from the city, the Hong Kong UNESCO Global Geopark is often named as the ‘Geopark in the City’. And in this year, ICE HKA G&S is honoured to be hosting the Geo-tour 2023 at the Sai Kung volcanic rock region of the Hong Kong Geopark, where the most iconic and unique geoheritage - hexagonal rock columns, are located.
Guided by experienced R2G (Recommended Geopark Guide) staff, participants can enjoy the junk boat tour around the marine region of the volcanic rock formation, featuring some well-known geosites including Po Pin Chau, High Island and Tiu Chung Cave. The most iconic part of the tour is the hexagonal rock columns on High Island, which were formed by volcanic activities around 140 million years ago, and are different from hexagonal columns that those in Hong Kong are composed of light-coloured silica-rich rhyolitic volcanic rock.
Participants will also have opportunities to get onto two outlying islands in Sai Kung. In Yim Tin Tsai, participants can understand more about the Hakka history of the historic village; whilst on Sharp Island (or Kiu Tsui), participants can have a look at the interesting quartz monzonite, which is often referred as ‘pineapple bun rock’. If time allows, participants can also make an exciting walk across the tombolo, which only appears during low tides.
Places are limited. Register for the tour and enhance your knowledge in geology and geotechnical engineering whilst meeting other young engineers.
- Capacity: 30
- Dress code: Sportswear
- Registration deadline: 31 October 2023 (Tuesday)
To book a slot, simply click the ‘book now’ button and follow the instructions.
- Registration will be confirmed on a first-come-first-served basis, with priority given to ICE HKA G&S members.
- Only successful applicants will receive confirmation emails, including the payment method.
- Once confirmed, payment is non-refundable.
- Insurance fee is included.
- Lunch is not provided. Participants are advised to bring along with snacks and drinks.
- The event will be conducted in Cantonese. Other languages may be available upon request.
- Attendance certificates will be provided after two weeks of the event only if attendees attend the whole event.
- The above is subject to change without prior notice.
- Applicants with no-show records will be given lower priority in future G&S events.
- Participants who are unfortunately infected with COVID-19 are advised not to attend the event in order to minimise the risk of transmission.
Adverse weather arrangement:
- The event will be cancelled or rescheduled to another date in case of Typhoon Signal No. 3 or above, or Red or Black Rainstorm Signal being in force by the Hong Kong Observatory at or after 6:45.
- Participants will be informed before the event start time if the tour operator decides not to sail due to adverse weather or any safety reason.
The Institution of Civil Engineers (Hong Kong Association) shall not under any circumstances be liable or otherwise for death or any injury or for any damage to or loss or destruction of property or otherwise, in any such case arising from any accident or mishap, and whether during or after this event, in preparation for it, travelling to or from it or otherwise.
- Graduate and Student Members: HKD150
- Members of other grades: HKD250
- Non-members: HKD360
Gather at Sai Kung Public Piery
Visit to Sharp Island (also named Kiu Tsui) for tombolo and ‘pineapple bun rock’
Junk boat tour in the marine region of Sai Kung Volcanic Rock Region of the Hong Kong Geopark, visiting Po Pin Chau, Tiu Chung Chau, Bluff Island and Basalt Island
Cultural visit at the Hakka village at Yim Tin Tsai
Dismiss at Sai Kung Public Pier