- 27 January 2024
- 09:00 - 12:00 HKT (GMT+8)
Integrated Waste Management Facilities Phase 1 An artificial island near Shek Kwu Chau Hong Kong
This event has now ended
You can catch-up on details or any broadcast and downloads here.
The Integrated Waste Management Facilities (IWMF) located on an artificial island near Shek Kwu Chau will be developed in phases. IWMF aims to substantially reduce the bulk size of mixed municipal solid waste (MSW) and to recover useful resources. It will minimize the landfilling of waste significantly, thus extending the useable life of landfills and their extensions in Hong Kong.
The Design-Build-Operate (DBO) contract for the IWMF Phase 1 was awarded in November 2017 and expected to be commissioned in 2025 with a 15-year operation period. It will have a treatment capacity of 3,000 tonnes each day complying with the emission standards for waste incineration facilities in Hong Kong and the European Commission for the protection of public health and the environment by advanced technologies and pollution control measures.
With the technical visit, participants would learn how environmental protection and ecological enhancement are taken into consideration in design and construction works, like non-dredged reclamation by deep cement mixing (DCM), blockwork seawall as eco-shorelines and net zero wastewater discharge. Visitors would also understand more about the waste-to-energy technologies from the design sharing of the mechanical sorting and recycling facilities and handling of bottom ash.
Assembly point: Cheung Chau Public Pier
Capacity: 25 participants + 5 helpers
Fees: free of charge
- Clothing: please dress in light informal attire and don’t wear shorts or dresses/skirts
- Shoes: please wear safety shoes / boots and don’t wear mules or sandals
- PPE: please bring and wear safety helmet and reflective vest.
- Participants are required to bring their ‘Green Card’ (safety training certificates), which shall be issued by recognised authorities and valid on the day of visit.
- Registration will be confirmed on a first-come-first-served basis and priority will be given to ICE members.
- Only successful applicant will receive confirmation e-mail.
- Attendance certificates will be provided after 2 weeks of the event only if attendees attend the whole event.
- Please take medication to alleviate any symptoms 30 minutes prior to the boat trip if participants are prone to seasickness.
- The above is subject to change without prior notice.
Adverse weather arrangements:
The event will be cancelled or rescheduled to another date in case of Black Rainstorm Alert; or Typhoon Signal No.3 or above being in force by the Hong Kong Observatory at or after 8:00am. It may also be cancelled because of safety or other reasons.
The Institution of Civil Engineers (Hong Kong Association) shall not under any circumstances be liable or otherwise for death or any injury or for any damage to or loss or destruction of property or otherwise, in any such case arising from any accident or mishap, and whether during or after this event, in preparation for it, traveling to or from it or otherwise.