- 09 May 2018
- 18:30 - 20:30 BST (GMT+1)
Cardiff School of Engineering Prince Philip lecture Theatre (N4/07) The Parade Cardiff Cardiff, CF24 3AA United Kingdom
This event has now ended
You can catch-up on details or any broadcast and downloads here.
Kazuhiro Yoshikawa, Client ABWR Technical Adviser, Horizon Nuclear Power and Sarah Jones, UK Specialist for Civil Engineering, Ext Hazards & Nuclear Regulation will be giving the presentation.
This evening lecture provides an insight into the Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR) technology designed by Hitachi-GE Nuclear Electric Ltd. The UK ABWR successfully achieved generic design acceptance by the UK's Regulators in December 2017. The ABWR is the chosen technology for the proposed Wyfla Newydd nuclear power station, which is to be built by Horizon Nuclear Power Ltd.
This talk will include.
- Introduction - describing Hitachi Nuclear Energy and Hitachi-GE– location, skills, size and presence in the UK.
- The Hitachi-GE ABWR Technology – the ABWR design development and basic operation of the reactor etc.
- The UK ABWR – Successful completion of the generic design assessment and the regulatory requirements
- Wylfa Newydd ABWR – civil engineering aspects of the site specific design, including external and internal hazards, safety classification, seismic design.
This lecture is open to members and non-members. Light refreshments will be served at 5.30 before the lecture, which will start at 6.00pm
For more information please contact: