- 22 February 2021
- 16:00 - 17:00 GMT
This event has now ended
You can catch-up on details or any broadcast and downloads here.
Part 1: Mike Harrison (Co-Chairman of PIANC WG 145, and Director at Inshore Systems) shall present on some of the key findings of the recently published PIANC Working Group (WG) 145, report titled, ‘Berthing Velocity Analysis of Seagoing Vessels over 30,000 DWT,’ including:
- Historic berthing velocity curves and tables
- Berthing velocity data collection and results analysis
- Factors affecting berthing velocity
- The return period and risk of exceedance approach
- Conclusions and recommendations of the committee; and the
- Yaw rate or “the sting in the tail”
Part 2: Alfred Roubos (Member of PIANC WG 145, and Senior Engineer at the Port of Rotterdam), shall provide an assessment of how the WG’s findings may be practically applied to structures and fender designs by Ports and Consultants, how they dovetail with other guidelines and codes such as PIANC WG 211 ‘Guidelines for the Design of Fender Systems’ and BS 6349-4:2014 ‘Code of Practice for Design of Fendering and Mooring Systems’).
Alfred’s content shall cover:
- Categorising the berth site - what type of berth do I have?
- Assessing berthing factors
- Predicting the spectrum and arriving vessels
- Positive and negative factors for low berthing speeds
- Selecting a suitable return period and velocity; and
- Reassessment of risks during the berth’s working life
For more information please contact: