This page sets out the actions that should be completed as part of deciding to use an alliance model - and in advance of any procurement or detailed implementation.
The decision to form an alliance should be underpinned by the identification of the behavioural characteristics necessary to sustain long term relationships.
The behaviours required for successful delivery of the business requirements provide a critical input to the procurement and contractual framework.
During the Deciding to Alliance phase, the behavioural outcomes below will have been achieved as part of providing a platform for on-going development of the Alliance:
- Identifying the required behaviours:
- The behaviours required at both organisational and individual level in order to achieve the required customer outcomes have been identified and set-out as part of the implementation plan.
- An initial change plan has been established that includes processes to develop the required behaviours across the client organisation.
- Developing the client capability to support an alliance model:
- A development plan is in place to provide the client capabilities required to support an alliance model. This follows an assessment of strengths and weaknesses, particularly in relation to collaboration.
- Client leadership of collaboration:
- The anticipated benefits of a collaborative environment have been communicated and are understood by all relevant stakeholders in the client organisation, providing an early view on why collaboration is required.
- The change plan recognises the additional challenges and the critical dependencies of positive client behaviour - and has led to a visible and positive approach to collaboration by the client.
- The benefits of adopting a collaborative approach have been identified and a measure for assessing the progress of collaboration has been included in the overall implementation plan.
The following case studies provide a detailed look at how organisations have used alliances and the lessons that have been learnt.
What comes next?
The next cell in the Alliancing Code of Practice grid is Deciding integration
View the complete Alliancing Code of Practice grid