Experiential learning offers new way to become ICE Chartered Engineer

If you want to become an ICE Chartered Engineer (CEng MICE) but don’t have the required academic qualifications you can now opt for an Experiential Learning Assessment.

A new route to Chartered Engineer status
A new route to Chartered Engineer status

You can now become a Chartered Engineer (CEng MICE) through an Experiential Learning Assessment – either managerial or technical – instead of opting for the master's degree route.

Experiential learning is a new option for engineers who want to become CEng MICE but don't have the required academic qualifications. Ordinarily, the qualifications for CEng are at master's level, either an MEng degree or an MSc with an accredited bachelor's degree.

To take the experiential learning option you must have an accredited bachelor's degree or equivalent. Instead of undertaking further formal academic study you show how your work-based experience gives you the same level of engineering knowledge and skills as someone who is educationally qualified for the grade.

Following a successful Experiential Learning Assessment you will be able to complete your Initial Professional Development (IPD) and progress to Professional Review.

Find out more about the Experiential Learning Assessment, and other further learning options for engineers who want to become professionally qualified but don't have the required academic qualifications.

Becoming professionally qualified requires a combination of your academic achievements, work experience (also called initial professional development) and an assessment (your Professional Review).

Need some advice?

If you need some help selecting the best option for you, the team at our Membership Support Centre is on hand to help:
t: +44 (0)121 237 3648 / 3649
e: membershiprecruitment@ice.org.uk