ICE Northern Ireland Members and Guests raised a fantastic £6331.41 at the 2019 ICE NI Annual Dinner on Thursday 5 December. The total amount was donated to Homeplus NI, the charity nominated by ICE NI Chairman John Glass.
Homeplus NI is a charity created to help people in need such as homeless people, migrant workers, refuges and asylum seekers.
Cara Gibney, Support Worker at Homeplus NI said “This is an extraordinary amount of money for us to receive and we know that we are blessed to be on the receiving end of generosity like this. The money will go straight into the running costs of Homeplus NI.”
The money raised will be used to help:
- Heat this old building and keep the Drop-In a welcoming space for refugees and asylum seekers to come to us for support, and also to eat, relax, just spend time here to talk with people and combat the sense of isolation that so many live with.
- Buy food for the hot meals prepared by our volunteers on a daily basis. Our service users are living on low incomes and it can be a struggle to buy food, so one hot meal provided by Homeplus NI can make a significant difference to someone’s day.
- Cover the cost of Halal food for meals which are specially prepared by volunteers for our service users every Friday.
- Pay for our phones and internet access which does not just allow the office to work, it also provides our service users with a means to stay in touch with loved ones at home.
- Cover our electricity and insurance costs for the Drop-In and homeless outreach service for the next year.
“I realise that the above list is very mundane and practical but to be honest that is the beauty of this donation," says Cara. " Without these bills being covered Homeplus NI cannot work and the generosity of your guests has pointedly helped us cover those costs. You have no idea how much we appreciate that.”
For more information about Homeplus NI and the work they do, please visit their Facebook page.