Anyone with an interest in improving civil engineering by engaging with the communities it affects is invited to take part in three new working groups.
ICE has invited members and those with relevant expertise to join the working groups that are developing best practice for community engagement in engineering.
The working groups are open to community leaders and organisers, community engagement professionals, engineers, built environment professionals, researchers, students, and others who are willing to contribute time, expertise and skills.
The Community of Practice for Community Engagement has outlined objectives for each working group, and the action plans and outputs that come from them will be shared through ICE and wider networks.
The first meetings of each working group will be held in June 2021.
What will the working groups focus on?
Working group 1: case studies and guidance
To develop new and identify existing case studies and guidance which support ICE activity promoting good practice for community and stakeholder engagement. This will include:
- Case studies of good practice where successful community engagement has been practiced where more successful outcomes can be evidenced.
- Good practice guidance for methods of community engagement.
- Developing materials and events to support CPD and knowledge sharing.
First meeting: Friday 4 June 2021 at 11.00hrs (via MS Teams).
Working group 2: community experience of infrastructure
To facilitate sharing and mutual support of communities in relation to infrastructure development. This will involve:
- Synthesising findings from existing research about community experiences of infrastructure development in accessible ways.
- Collating stories of community and infrastructure providers’ experiences of current and recent infrastructure developments.
- Developing materials that could support communities impacted by infrastructure development.
First meeting: Tuesday 15 June 2021 at 10.00am (via MS Teams).
Working group 3: systemic challenges and opportunities
To identify the key challenges that stop community engagement from being considered holistically throughout the infrastructure lifecycle and across various scales. This will:
- Consult a wide range of stakeholders to identify barriers and opportunities for systemic change.
- Develop guidance for infrastructure leaders and managers on how to integrate best practice across the sector.
First meeting: Friday 11 June 2021, 14.00 – 15.00hrs (via MS Teams).