Held annually, the awards showcase the work done by civil engineers from across the region over the past two years.
ICE North East has revealed the shortlist of 13 pioneering projects to be recognised at the annual Robert Stephenson Awards.
The awards are divided into three categories:
- Large Category Award, for projects with a total cost in excess of £5 million
- Medium Category Award, for projects costing between £1 million and £5 million
- Small Category Award, for projects costing less than £1 million
The awards are held every year to showcase the outstanding work done by civil engineers from across the region over the past two years. This year's winners will be revealed during a live awards ceremony in Newcastle on 23 March 2023.
The 2023 shortlist
Large Category Award
- Johnson Street Storm Overflow Screening Project, Gateshead
- Morpeth Emergency Scheme
Medium Category Award
- A19 North of Wynyard Concrete Pavement Overlay
- Bates Terminal Quay Strengthening (Phases 1 and 2), Blyth
- Culvert, Debris and Security Screen Programme (various locations)
- North Shields Public Realm
- Tees Viaduct Sub-structure Refurbishment (TVSR): Concrete Repairs and Impressed Current Cathodic Protection (ICCP) to Piers N10, N11, N12, N13, N14, N48, N50 and N51
- Tyne Dock Enterprise Park Quay Wall
- Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) Assembly, Launch Ramp and Associated Work
- Wylam Embankment Regrade
Small Category Award
- Ormesby Beck Restoration
- Summerhill Cycle Track
- Seaburn Public Realm
In 2022, the Large Project Award winner was Wolsingham STW Growth delivered by Wood PLC and Tilbury Douglas Construction Ltd for Northumbrian Water Limited.
Ponteland Flood Alleviation Scheme, delivered by Arup and BAM Nuttall for the Environment Agency, won the Medium Project Award category.
The Small Project Award went to Elephant Rock - Hartlepool Premier Outdoor Events Area, delivered by Seymour Civil Engineering and Classic Masonry for Hartlepool Borough Council.
This year, the headline sponsor for the ICE North East Robert Stephenson Awards is CDM Recruitment.
An awards ceremony will take place on 23 March 2023 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Newcastle.