To plan infrastructure for the long term, government departments must grapple with changing demands for infrastructure services.
Meanwhile, they must also create infrastructure that’s more sustainable.
Demographic shifts, behavioural changes, and climate all affect how infrastructure is planned and prioritised in countries across the world.
To help government departments strengthen their strategic planning processes, the Enabling Better Infrastructure Programme (EBI) has produced updated guidance.
The updated guidance includes:
- a three-step process for setting up a strategic infrastructure plan
- supporting guidance to ensure governments can action the three-step process in any country
- a self-reflection tool for helping government departments identify where to start and what initial work needs to be done to ensure they have the best chance of success
Actioning all three aspects of our guidance will ensure government departments have what they need to help them plan and prioritise infrastructure more strategically.
This creates stable and sustainable infrastructure pipelines to attract funding.
Our self-reflection tool
This insights paper outlines the self-reflection tool in more detail and poses questions for consultation.
The self-reflection tool is a matrix that outlines critical considerations to help government departments understand their progress towards setting stable, sustainable, and investable infrastructure pipelines.
It includes the following components:
- key considerations for setting up stable, sustainable, and investable infrastructure pipelines
- questions to encourage self-reflection and to support a better understanding of key considerations
- multiple answers to outline the range of ways that key considerations can be met - this includes a comparative overview of where additional support and refinement are needed to boost the impact and ease of setting up stable, sustainable, and investable infrastructure pipelines
We want to hear from you
We are seeking insights from anyone involved in the strategic planning and prioritisation of infrastructure to enhance the relevance and value of our updated guidance.
To respond, please send your written responses to the ten questions below to: [email protected].
In the EBI Green Paper, questions 9 and 10 relate to the self-assessment matrix:
- Question 9: Do principles, questions and subjective categories provide a reasonable basis for building a self-reflection tool, and what would you change?
- Question 10: Would you include any additional elements in our self-reflection tool, and why?
To respond, please send your written answers to the questions to [email protected].
This consultation runs until 26 July 2023.
EBI Insights Paper: what should governments consider before strategically planning their infrastructure?
Content type: Policy
Last updated: 12/07/2023