Ilias Michalis, Associate Technical Director, Arcadis was the featured speaker at the recent Learned Event in May.
He is leading technically, the Geotechnical and Tunneling Design Team (Dubai) of Arcadis, holding the position of the Associate Technical Director, since December 2015. He has 22 years of experience, working as a Tunneling and Geotechnical expert in major infrastructure projects, including among others Athens and Thessaloniki Metros in Greece and Doha Metro in Qatar.
Ilias holds MSc in Soil Mechanics & Engineering Seismology from Imperial College UK, and has authored his PhD thesis on the topic of Tunnelling in Weak Rocks at the National Technical University of Athens.
Ilias is an author of more than 25 technical publications and has delivered until now 10 invited lectures to International and ME Regional Conferences on Tunneling, Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
During his presentation he used his experience and knowledge to cover the following areas:
- Recent tunnel cases with unreinforced and Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete tunnel linings
- Existing Design Codes and Design Recommendations
- Numerical analyses of unreinforced concrete tunnel linings under static and seismic loading conditions. T1 & T2 tunnels of Maliakos – Kleidi Motorway and T 26 tunnel of Athens – Patras Motorway in Greece
- Numerical analyses of SFRC tunnel linings under static loading conditions. Doha Metro Project
- Critical thoughts about the geostatic loads on to the tunnel final linings
- Critical thoughts about the ground elastic modulus for designing tunnel final linings
Download the presentation slides from the event