In 2021 ICE launched clearer and smoother pathways to help our members achieve a professional qualification.
Developed in response to member feedback, these changes ensure that Engineering Technician (EngTech MICE), Incorporated Engineer (IEng MICE) and Chartered Engineer (CEng MICE) continue to command respect, keeping you ahead of your peers across the globe.
- It is more straightforward for you to demonstrate the standards required for professionally qualified membership of the world’s leading civil engineering institution
- You will be better equipped to tackle issues of sustainability and the climate emergency, ensuring you continue to meet the evolving needs of industry and society
- Our standards remain high, reinforcing the prestige of gaining a professional qualification with ICE and helping engineers to fulfil their professional potential
- The revamped requirements keep ICE members aligned to the latest Engineering Council standards
- Along with more frequent online Professional Reviews, you will now be able to apply, sit, and receive your result much quicker
At Professional Review, candidates pursuing IEng MICE or CEng MICE, will now demonstrate 7 attributes.
Combining current attributes 1 (Knowledge and Understanding of Engineering) and 2 (Technical and Practical Application of Engineering) and allocating attribute 4 (Independent Judgement and Responsibility) across others will provide greater clarity and ease of understanding.
Attribute information for trainees using IPD Online
To help you understand what has changed within IPD Online, we have produced a document showing how IPD Online looks with the revised wording, alongside the old wording. This is supported with commentary on the differences for each qualified grade.
Candidates aiming for EngTech MICE will demonstrate competence against 7 attributes, creating greater symmetry between the grades and providing a seamless path for those who wish to continue to IEng MICE or CEng MICE.
To ensure members are even better equipped to tackle the climate emergency, the attributes have been improved.
For IEng MICE and CEng MICE attributes, the UN Sustainable Development Goals are clearly stated.
For EngTech MICE attributes, there is a focus on applying the principles of sustainable development and consideration of the environmental impact of your work.
We have streamlined our processes for IEng MICE and CEng MICE candidates at the Professional Review stage by:
- Moving to a single application instead of a two-stage application and submission
- Reducing the number of sponsors needed from three to two
- Reducing duplication of CPD requirements
- Replacing the Written Exercise with a written Communication Task that directly relates to the Interpersonal Skills and Communication attribute
Membership Support Centre
For expert advice on your next step to professional qualification, contact our Membership Support Centre: