What will the project deliver?
The Bedford Western Bypass consists of:
- A 2.4km single carriageway road
- Three new roundabouts
- A new road bridge over the Midland Mainline railway
- A new County Wildlife Site
The new bypass links the A6 Paula Radcliffe Way with the A4280 Bromham Road. It enables vehicles to avoid the busy town centre when travelling in the north west of the town.
- Re-use of excavated materials onsite meant that no bulk materials were taken offsite. This saved CO2 as well as reducing lorry trips and new materials used
- Use of aluminium track mats through the County Wildlife Site prevented destructive temporary roads being built (and having to be demolished and disposed of after work was complete)
- As part of the work a new badger sett and otter holt were built and badger fencing was installed alongside the road
View more project pictures