- Updated: 20 February, 2017
What will the project deliver?
This project has delivered many benefits for local residents and shopkeepers including:
- reduced congestion
- increased off street parking
- better street lighting
- secure cycle parking
- improved streetscape
- support for local businesses
The design also includes a seating area with trees and landscaping.
A Sustainable drainage system (which allows rainwater to soak back into the ground rather than being taking away by pipes) was installed as part of project preventing overloading of the existing sewer system.
More off-street parking benefits those using local shops and reduces the unsafe parking that was causing traffic problems on Central Avenue at peak times.
The appearance of the area has also improved, reducing anti-social behaviour and improving business for the shops.
- All waste was either reused on site or recycled meaning no waste went to landfill from this project.
- The street furniture, including bus shelter, bins and community notice board were all repaired and reinstalled rather than being replaced.
- New LED street lighting allows light levels to be controlled and energy consumption reduced.
- Installing the sustainable drainage scheme saved around £58,000 compared to traditional drainage.