Skip to content

University and colleges

ICE offers accreditation of university and college courses that are delivered and awarded by providers  outside the UK.

Our accreditation assessors have extensive experience and will be happy to advise on programme content as well as sharing best practice. ICE accredited courses are recognised in many countries under the International Education Accords and European Engineering Education Database which will benefit graduates seeking a global career.

Your students will also benefit from studying an accredited course. Once they've completed the course, your graduates will meet many or all of the educational requirements for registration with ICE as a Member (MICE) and with the Engineering Council (UK) as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and/or Engineering Technician (EngTech).

What's the process?

  • Check our degree course guidelines developed in collaboration with the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) to ensure that your university or college programmes cover the necessary core and optional subjects
  • Submit an initial enquiry form that will be reviewed by our experienced assessors. We'll get in touch with any questions, and advise you if we'll proceed with an accreditation visit
  • Submit a full submission document to our assessors eight weeks before the visit
  • Make travel and accommodation arrangements for our assessors

Once accredited, you can promote the new status in your promotional materials. Your courses will be listed on ICE’s online database of accredited programmes and on the Engineering Council (UK) Accredited Programme database. Also, you'll be eligible to apply for the EUR-ACE label, awarded by the European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education (ENAEE).

To maintain accreditation, the university or college may need to submit an action plan that addresses the recommendations and requirements outlined in the visit report. If this response is satisfactory, then accreditation can be extended to the full five-year period. When the courses have been accredited for the full five-year period, we'll get in touch four years after the original visit to plan for a re-accreditation visit the following year.

How much does it cost?

If the accreditation is sought outside the UK, the university or college must cover all costs incurred to undertake the accreditation visit to their institution, and any subsequent visits required to maintain their accreditation status.

Student chapters

When you've achieved accreditation, we can support and engage with your students through an ICE student chapter. ICE student chapters organise technical talks, site visits and are a great way for your students to network and socialise with other civil engineering students.

Become an academic assessor

If you're a course leader or programme director for a civil engineering bachelor’s or master’s programme, you could become one of our accreditation assessors. Find out more in our guidance document, including how to get in touch.

Professional qualification is available to faculty members

Becoming a qualified member of ICE and gaining professional qualification is a great achievement and showcases your skills, knowledge and experience. Lead the way for your students and start your journey today.

Have you got any questions?

If you have any other question regarding accreditation, drop us an email at