The Institution of Civil Engineers Yorkshire and Humber has released a shortlist of pioneering projects to be recognised at its annual Yorkshire and Humber Awards 2018.
19 projects from the region have been shortlisted in the awards programme across three categories:
- M1 J32-35a Smart Motorway Improvement Scheme, near Sheffield – Highways England, WSP and Costain
- Hull Public Realm – Hull City Council, Ove Arup & Partners, Eurovia and Gardiner & Theobold
- A61 Birdwell Junction, Barnsley – Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Esh Construction Ltd
- Sheffield Lower Don Valley Flood Defence Scheme - Mott MacDonald, Carillion, Sheffield City Council, Environment Agency
- Skipton Flood Alleviation Scheme – Environment Agency, Arup, Galliford Try
- Allerton Waste Recovery Park, Knaresborough – North Yorkshire County Council, Waterman Group Race Cotam Associates Ltd, VINCI Construction UK and France, Amey Cespa, OWS, Stadler
- Wakefield Eastern Relief Road – Wakefield Council, Leeds City Council, Mounchel Consulting, Jacobs, HOCHTIEF (UK) Constuction Ltd, Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd, West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- Catterick Flood Storage Reservoir – Environment Agency & Highways England, CH2M
- Gouthwaite Reservoir Spillway – Yorkshire Water Services Ltd, Mott MacDonald, JN Bentley
- Tadcaster Bridge Emergency Works – North Yorkshire County Council, Balfour Beatty
- Hensall Barrier Bank Modifications – Environment Agency, JBA Bentley, Turner and Townsend, John Falkingham, AECOM
- Little Woodhouse Street Strengthening Works – Leeds City Council, WSP, Carillion
- Repair of Linton Bridge: Reuniting Communities, Wetherby – Leeds City Council, Mott MacDonald, BAM Nuttall Ltd, AE Yates Ltd, Department for Transport
- Sykes Lane Railway Overbridge, Tollerton– Network Rail, HBPW Consulting Ltd, Amalgamated Construction Ltd, North Yorkshire County Council, Hambleton District Council
- Elland Bridge Reconstruction – Canal & River Trust, Arcadis Consulting Ltd, Kier Construction, Department for Transport, Calderdale Metropolitan Council
- Park Street Bridge Hull - bearing replacement and strengthening – Network Rail, Ove Arup and Partners, Balfour Beatty, Hull City Council
Sir John Fowler Award
- River Hull Navigation Authority – East Riding of Yorkshire Council and Pell Frischmann
- A14 Orwell Bridge Strategic Management and Studies – Highways England, Amey, Freyssinet
The awards are held every year to showcase the outstanding work done by civil engineers from across the region over the past two years. They are divided into three categories; projects with a total cost in excess of £5 million compete for the Centenary Award, those between £500,000 and £5 million can apply for the Smeaton Award, and those costing under £500,000 are eligible for the Sir John Fowler Award.
In 2017 the Centenary Award was won by The A160 Port of Immingham Improvements project, the Smeaton Award was won by the Butterley Spillway Improvement Works near Marsden and the Sir John Fowler Award went the works on the Brow Wood Underbridge, between Egton and Grosmont, near Whitby.
Robert Mair, the Institution's President, will be presenting the awards at the ICE's annual gala dinner, which is the finale of his two day visit to the region in March. Entertainment, food and drinks will all be on the agenda at the black tie event, at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate on 2 March 2018.
Book your table at the ICE Yorkshire and Humber Annual Gala Dinner and Awards 2018 on 2 March 2018.