The ICE CityZen competition is an easy to run, structured activity which is supported throughout by an ICE STEM Ambassador.
It takes place yearly in the autumn term and makes an ideal extra-curricular activity for students making critical decisions about their futures.
The competition is in two parts:
- A digital game played over 4-6 one-hour sessions
- A creative video project for students to pitch their idea of how civil engineering could be used to improve their local environment.
The digital game, ICE CityZen has won a Gold Award for Best Learning Game at the 2023 Learning Technolgies Awards and is also shortlisted for a 2024 Bett Award for Secondary Free Digital Content App or Open Educational Resource.
The ICE CityZen experience gives students:
- Skills for success, such as teamwork, critical thinking, communication and problem-solving.
- Insight into a respected, exciting and globally vital career option.
- More insight into STEM topics, including content relevant to the national curriculums for geography, and design technology.
- A certificate of participation, plus great prizes.
CityZen need-to-know information
- It’s for students aged 16-18 years old.
- Attending full-time education in a UK school or college.
- Teams must be registered by a teacher or school representative.
- Terms and conditions of entry.
2022 ICE CityZen Award
Watch the winning videos from the CityZen competition in 2022 below.
Once you have successfully registered your school or college in the ICE CityZen Award, you’ll find the following resources will help you along the way.
2023 Award information packs
- Teacher information video (6 min)
- Mentor information video (7 min)
- Loud Speaker video project advice for students (5 min)
ICE CityZen game mentoring videos
- ICE CityZen Award week 1 mentoring video (6 min)
- ICE CityZen Award week 2 mentoring video (3 min)
- ICE CityZen Award week 3 mentoring video (5 min)
- ICE CityZen Award week 4 mentoring video (4 min)
If you’ve registered your school or college to take part in the ICE CityZen Summer Bootcamp (3-7 July 2023) you will need the following resources to run the programme with your students.
ICE CityZen game bootcamp mentoring videos
- ICE CityZen Bootcamp round 1 mentoring video (5 min)
- ICE CityZen Bootcamp round 2 mentoring video (3 min)
- ICE CityZen Bootcamp round 3 mentoring video (4 min)
- ICE CityZen Bootcamp round 4 mentoring video (3 min)
ICE CityZen Summer Bootcamp terms and conditions
Got a question about the award?
Contact the ICE careers team if you have a question about the competition and we’ll be happy to help: