If you have a professional civil engineering qualification from another EU member state you may be able to apply for the equivalent grade of ICE membership and Engineering Council registration, rather than qualifying directly by Professional Review.
This is because of EU legislation on the recognition of professional qualifications (Directive 2005/36/EC).
To be eligible to apply to ICE for this recognition, you must:
- Be an EU citizen or have EU citizen rights
- Be working or looking for work in the UK
- Have enough knowledge of the English language to work as a civil engineer in the UK
- Be professionally qualified as a civil engineer in your home member state. This depends on whether the profession of 'civil engineer' is regulated in your member state
If the profession of civil engineer is regulated in your home member state, you also need to have a relevant regulated title. This title must be listed on the European Commission regulated professions database.
If the profession civil engineer is not regulated in your home member state, you must have:
- A qualification that prepares you for the profession of civil engineer
- At least one year of professional experience out of the last 10 as a civil engineer in your home member state
Have completed 'regulated education and training' for the profession of civil engineer (as certified by your home member state)
There may be some exceptions to these rules, depending on where and how you gained your qualifications.
Can I apply?
To find out if you're eligible to apply, please email the following to email@example.com:
- Your CV (in English)
- The following details of each academic qualification you hold:
- Full university/college name (in original language and in English)
- Full course title (in original language and in English)
- Qualification type (e.g. Masters, BEng (Hons), HND, HNC, BSc)
- Course type (e.g. full-time, part-time, sandwich)
- Course start date (month and year)
- Course end date (month and year)
- Your professional title (if you have one) in its original language, the name of the institution you're registered with and date of registration
If you apply this way, rather than qualifying directly by Professional Review, you may not be able to use your ICE membership to register with other engineering institutions. If you want to use your ICE membership for registration outside the UK or with another institution, please contact us for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application and fees
To apply for recognition of your EU professional qualification, please download our guidance on recognition of EU professional qualifications and fill in the application form. You can apply for assessment at any time.
The application fee for 2017 is £267.50. There is an additional fee for an aptitude test or adaptation period if you need one (the conditions for these are explained in the guidance). Please check the fees page for more information.
Applications for membership through the recognition of EU professional qualifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis and not subject to any submission deadlines. If you apply for this recognition, you’ll receive a decision within four months of sending the necessary documents. If you have any questions about the recognition of EU professional qualifications route, please get in touch on +44 (0)20 7665 2344 or email email@example.com.
Begin your application