A career in civil engineering
There are lots of great things about being a civil engineer. It's not just a job, it's an exciting career. You'll never be bored because there's so much variety. And you get to meet and work with different kinds of people.
- Be based in an office or on a construction site
- Be near to home or travel all over the world
- Work on anything from creating flood defences, producing clean energy, building new structures, boring tunnels, designing earthquake-proof homes or planning new transport systems
- Become a director or a programme manager, lead design teams and run teams of construction workers
- Become an expert in the design or application of a particular type of civil engineering
Civil engineering has something for everyone.
There are also many ways to become a qualified civil engineer in the future.
What's the best way for me to get into civil engineering?
Once you've done your GCSEs or intermediates you have three main options:
- You can take A-levels or Highers and Advanced Highers
- You can study for a vocational qualification
- You can start work as an apprentice