Canada - working in Canada

Calgory Light Rail system

Find out more about working as a civil engineer in Canada, including who the professional bodies are, how you can register, and what ICE can do to help you.

Becoming a professional engineer (PEng)

In Canada, only a Professional Engineer (PEng) is licensed to practise engineering and to take responsibility for their work and that of others. This includes signing and sealing design documents. Unlicensed engineers have to be supervised by a Professional Engineer.

PEng status is similar to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status in the UK and is awarded by the relevant provincial or territorial professional engineering association (see below).

Before becoming a PEng, you may need one full year of experience in Canada, supervised by a licensed engineer. While you're working towards becoming a PEng, you may be able to register as a 'member-in-training', a 'temporary PEng', or 'non-resident licensee PEng'.

Generally, to become a PEng you must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. If you intend to work in Quebec, you should be able to write and speak in near fluent technical French.

Before you can work in Canada you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or hold a temporary work visa. Find out how you can get a visa:

Please visit the Engineers Canada website for more detailed information about moving to Canada, the engineering profession and registration requirements:

Engineering bodies

The national engineering organisation is Engineers Canada, buteach province or territory has its own professional engineering association, which is the regulatory body that awards the PEng license.

The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering is a learned society created to develop and maintain high standards of civil engineering practice in Canada and to enhance the public image of the civil engineering profession. Membership is obtained separately from the PEng license.

Recognition of existing qualifications

Calgory Light Rail Transit
Calgory Light Rail Transit

Unfortunately, Engineers Canada and the Engineering Council don't recognise each other's professional qualifications for registration purposes. This means that even if you are CEng MICE, you'll also have to qualify directly in Canada to get the PEng license.

However, both bodies have signed the Washington Accord which concerns the recognition of engineering degrees, so if you hold a degree accredited by the Engineering Council for CEng registration, you should expect to be exempt from the academic assessment for PEng registration, but you will need to complete all other criteria, including the Professional Practise examination.

If you encounter any difficulties with the registration process or are required to undertake an academic assessment, please contact us at [email protected]

ICE in Canada

Please visit the ICE Canada contact webpage for contact details of our representatives. They are volunteer qualified members and are not immigration or employment agents.

The Civil Engineer Blog

The infrastructure blog is our weekly take on all things infrastructure, taking in Westminster, the devolved parliaments and infrastructure news in general.

The Highway Code is being updated to better focus on cyclists

Engineers can deliver on net-zero but only if they bring communities with them

  • Author: Mark Hansford
  • Date: 14 October, 2020
ICE-commissioned evidence has proven that the infrastructure sector is already falling behind in the race to net zero. Passionate civil engineers who truly engage with communities can make it happen.

Follow our civils blog for the latest thoughts on civil engineering