This popular and highly competitive scheme has been running since 2005. It gives graduate and technician members a unique opportunity to gain experience, develop skills and learn about the industry. You could meet and engage with senior engineering professionals, getting invaluable insight into industry development. You also become part of the Presidents' Apprentice alumni network and will have the opportunity to continue to work on an ICE project after your first year, if that matches your career aspirations. More information can be found in our information booklet.
Any technician member and graduate member, working towards their professional qualification, can apply to be a president's apprentice. Applications are open now and the President chooses the apprentices before their term of office starts in November.
The president's apprenticeship scheme has many benefits, not only for you, but also for your employer and ICE. Here are just a few examples.
- Accelerate their early career development
- Work on strategic projects that will make a real difference to the industry
- Are mentored by the President and an ICE Director
- Meet senior civil engineering professionals and key politicians
- Learn about the industry and ICE
- Get experience outside a normal work environment
- Develop new skills and improve existing ones
- Attend important ICE events
- Build a reputation for employing talented, young and qualified engineers
- Benefit from a more skillful, confident and well-rounded employee
- Appear in industry publications, such as New Civil Engineer
- Uses feedback from apprentices and employers to improve products and services, and attract younger people into civil engineering
- Learns from young members who provide fresh, innovative ways of thinking and communicating
If you're chosen to be an apprentice, you'll be away from work for around 15 days in the year. You'll also attend events and face-to-face meetings, and will need to discuss projects over the phone and by email.
Are you interested?
Applications for the 2017/18 president's apprentice scheme will open in June 2017.
For more information about application process and the scheme, please see this year's brochure, project list and application form. In addition to the application form, you will also need to submit your CV, a reference from your line manager, and 500 word statement.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Joanne Hunt at: email@example.com.