Join us at ICE Breakwaters 2023 – the pre-eminent international conference for the global marine and coastal engineering community.
Breakwaters 2023 sponsors
The next ICE Coasts, Marine Structures and Breakwaters will take place 25-27 April 2023 at the Marriott Hotel in Portsmouth, UK.
Since 1982, Breakwaters authors, speakers and delegates have shaped the marine engineering sector, unveiling innovative technologies, assessing techniques, making formal recommendations, demonstrating best practice, and providing in-depth technical analyses. Conference outcomes have translated into guidance documents and manuals defining industry standard practice for 40 years.
Organisations represented in recent years include Boskalis Westminster, VolkerStevin, Balfour Beatty, BAM Nuttall, Costain, HR Wallingford, Arup, Atkins, Mott MacDonald, Jacobs, Arcadis, Environment Agency, and Local Government.
The 2023 edition will cover the latest developments across maritime engineering topics from coasts to ports and waterfronts to breakwaters while focusing on the full spectrum of research and study, design, construction, and operations.
Given the heightened attention on the ‘climate emergency’, Breakwaters 2023 will place a big focus on how resilience and adaptability are being addressed by the maritime sector.
The two previous conferences both attracted over 400 delegates from more than 40 nations and showcased over 100 papers, while also including ‘Spotlight on Innovation’ presentations.
What makes us unique
- ICE’s rigorous peer-review process features only the most valuable and relevant information, both strategic and technical
- Targeting only the most forward-thinking industry papers, selected, reviewed and refined by a highly experienced organising committee
- Bringing together industry representatives from across the world with the highest degree of participation from clients, contractors and consultants, plus leading academics and relevant government and public sector organisations
- Shaping the marine engineering sector, with innovative technologies and new methodologies
- Laser focus on climate change mitigation and adaptation, from research to design and construction, sustainable solutions, and the critical role of engineers to meeting tough environmental targets
- Exploring marine renewables, bringing together developers and engineers who must design, construct and maintain key infrastructure.
- An amazing venue in Portsmouth, a city with a rich naval history, within easy reach of London for international visitors
- Innovation spotlight talks and a lively poster area showcasing innovative schemes and projects from start-ups, students and SMEs
- A vibrant exhibition and networking space featuring key suppliers in the marine engineering sector
- Critical learnings from multiple international case studies and project deep-dives
- Interactive practical workshop session (optional)
- Local site visit (optional)
Covering more than 14 topics across the whole marine industry, including:
- climate change adaptation and mitigation, sustainability, and decarbonisation
- construction in ports
- working in marine environments
- challenges of coastal engineering
- coastal development
- breakwater armour
- ecological aspects of design
- developments in overtopping
- storm and wave impact on structures
- learning from historical structures and breakwaters
- modular design and construction
- flood risk management
- numerical modelling methods
- standards and Eurocodes