Anyone who meets our standards can join ICE. We don't discriminate based on beliefs, backgrounds, abilities or anything else.
All our members and staff should feel able to challenge prejudice and approach their work with open and critical minds.
What we do
We aim to:
- Take a holistic view of diversity, which addresses fair treatment, inclusion and respect for all members
- Make everyone more aware of the positive impact of addressing diversity through training for members, media releases, promotional literature and events
- Understand and tackle anything standing in the way of equal opportunities
- Challenge and address any discrimination
- Make sure our policies and the way we work promotes diversity
Our policies are for members of all grades, employees and anyone applying for a job. We also encourage members to promote diversity in their workplace.
Our Fairness, Inclusion and Respect Committee works with employers to make sure the civil engineering industry attracts talented people from all backgrounds.
Any ICE member can contact the Fairness, Inclusion and Respect Committee about equal opportunities issues.
ICE Diversity & Inclusivity Action Plan
We have developed the ICE Diversity & Inclusivity Action Plan. We produced this following the publication of Dawn Bonfield’s report “Disruptive Diversity” which reviewed diversity within the Institution and the profession, and then subsequent discussions at Council and Executive Board meetings.
The overarching recommendation of the external report was that ICE should apply an inclusivity lens to every aspect of work undertaken. The Diversity & Inclusivity Action Plan follows the WISE ten steps and incorporates a key actions and roll out schedule
Download the Action Plan