Skip to content

Advice for students

If you're doing an engineering apprenticeship, degree or higher qualification, there's a lot of support you can get while you're studying.

Background, gender and age are no barrier. If you want to be a civil engineer, have the right academic subjects and attitude you can start making your career choices right here.

How can I check if my course is accredited?

If you went to a UK university or college, simply search for your course on our online database and we'll tell you straightaway if it's accredited by Joint Board of Moderators (JBM).

You'll also find details of courses that are covered by international agreements like the Washington Accord, FEANI and EUR-ACE.

Search your course

Studying at college or university (18 years and over)

You can start by becoming an ICE student member for free.

As a student member you can:

  • Get advice and support to help you make the right career choices and prepare for a future in civil engineering.
  • You can record any work experience you gain during your studies and give yourself an advantage by having it assessed before you complete your course. If your work experience is a placement in civil engineering you may even start to record your progress using our IPD Online platform, which will give you a head start in achieving professional qualification with ICE.
  • Connect with professionals and meet people like you on free events. Our local groups organise events on everything from the finer points of constructing a tunnel, to pub quizzes and five-a-side football tournaments.
  • Learn online using our huge online database of books, journals, papers and archives. We also run interactive webinars, and many of our lectures are recorded so you can watch them when you want.
  • Keep up-to-date with the latest industry news in New Civil Engineer magazine online and through the app.

Studying at school/college (15-18 years)

With your GCSEs (or equivalent) under your belt you can carry on studying in sixth form/college, start an apprenticeship, or a vocational course.

15-18s - Studying at school or college

Do you have any questions?

If you need help with student membership, extra advice or guidance our membership team are here to help.