Professionally qualified members

Your professional qualification is globally-recognised by employers and peers and can help you register with other engineering bodies outside the UK. 

Explore the sections below to learn more about opportunities available to you around the world.

Membership and Registration with other engineering bodies

In addition to the agreements which cover recognition of academic qualifications, we have agreements for professional recognition that offer a streamlined route to professional membership and/or registration with other engineering bodies around the world. Please note that not all qualified members will be eligible for recognition under these agreements, and you should check the criteria carefully before applying.

If the agreements listed below don't cover your specific situation, please refer to our Advice and Guidance section.

Country Engineering Body Streamlined route to Criteria (check the table below)
Australia Engineers Australia CPEng MIEAust 1, 2, 3
Any EU or EEA country Relevant national competent authority see section below on Working in the EU 2, 8
Hong Kong Hong Kong Institution of Engineers Corporate Member Please download guidance M14343 and M3 1, 2, 3
Hong Kong Engineers Registration Board Registered Professional Engineer 1, 2, 3, 7
Ireland Engineers Ireland CEng MIEI
EngTech MIEI
Please contact Engineers Ireland membership team
1, 2, 3, 6
New Zealand Engineering New Zealand CPEng /CMEngNZ (Professional Engineer)

CMEngNZ (Eng Technologist)

CMEngNZ (Eng Technician)
2, 3, 5
Portugal Ordem dos Engenheiros Senior Engineer

Please contact the Engineering Council
2, 5, 6, 9
South Africa Engineering Council South Africa and SAICE PEng MSAICE 1, 2, 3, 4
USA – Idaho State Board Idaho State Board Professional Engineer

Please contact the Engineering Council
3, 9

1 - Must be a Chartered Civil Engineer
2 - Must have qualified directly with ICE by passing the Professional Review
3 - Will be expected to hold an accredited engineering degree(s) recognised under the Washington Accord to benefit fully from the streamlined route. If not, you may be required to undergo additional assessment of your academic knowledge
4 - Must be professionally qualified for at least one year before applying
5 - Must be registered with the Engineering Council at the equivalent grade
6 - Your rights to recognition under EU legislation and the Professional Qualifications Directive will supersede any terms of this agreement
7 - Must have at least one year post-qualification relevant experience in Hong Kong
8 - Must be an EU national/hold EU national rights
9 - Must be CEng registered with the Engineering Council

Working in the EU

The UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020. From then until 31 December 2020, there is a transition period while the EU and UK negotiate additional arrangements.

  • Our professional qualification (MICE and Engineering Council registration) are protected titles and deemed to be “regulated professions” for the purposes of recognition under the terms of the EU Directive on the recognition of professional qualifications
  • Provided that you meet the current criteria for recognition, you still have a legal right to recognition at the equivalent professional level in the host country during this transition period, as long as you have obtained or applied for recognition before the end of December 2020
  • Recognition under the Directive is not automatic, however, and what you need to do to be “recognised” depends on the regulations in the host country. If it has its own national requirements for professional registration or assessment you will still need to meet them, the Directive just stipulates the way in which the relevant authority should assess the equivalence of your UK qualification
  • Please contact us at [email protected] if you need any advice about your right to practise the civil engineering profession in the EU or if you need confirmation of your professional status to apply for recognition. If you’re not a current ICE member please contact the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications for advice
  • The future terms for the mutual recognition of professional qualifications after 31 December 2020 will be negotiated between the EU and the UK during the transition period. The outcome of these negotiations may result in changes to the rights of UK nationals and holders of UK professional qualifications to practise certain professions. Therefore, if you’re living and working in the EU (or intending to) please check the latest Government advice for UK nationals living in the EU and the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications
  • For details of whether recognition is required, how to apply for it and what may change after the end of the transition period, please contact the relevant National Assistance Centre

International professional registers

You can further enhance your professional status by joining a specialist register after you've gained a professionall qualification, such as:

We also offer other specialist professional registers which will mark you out as an expert in your field, in areas such as ground engineering, conservation, security, and health and safety. Read the  full list of our specialist professional registers.