If you currently hold one of the professional qualifications listed below, and you achieved this by the standard route with a review or interview and not on the basis of recognition or transfer from another institution, then you can apply directly for the equivalent grade of ICE membership and Engineering Council registration.
Please note: Even if you’re eligible for recognition you can still choose to qualify with us directly by Professional Review if you prefer, and we will accept your professionally qualified status in lieu of completion of our own initial professional development.
If you do qualify with us by mutual recognition, you will not be able to use your title as the basis for registration with other engineering institutions. If you would like to know more about this, please contact email@example.com.
Making an application
Before you start, you will need an ICE membership number. If you don’t already have one, please create a non-member account by registering with MyICE. This will enable you to make payments online and access information on our website tailored to your particular interests. You will find your membership number within “My Profile” in your MyICE account.
You can submit an application at any time. We will process your application within one month and confirm if your application is complete and ready for assessment. If there is any missing information we will tell you and will not proceed with the assessment until it has been received.
The assessment itself may then take up to four months. During this time your name will be published on the ICE website for 28 days, to notify others of your application for membership.
All applications for recognition are assessed for admission by ICE’s Exemption & Recognition Panel, who are qualified Members and experienced ICE Reviewers.
Once your application has been assessed, you will receive a decision letter by email from the Panel. If your application is successful you will be approved for membership and admitted following payment of your subscription fees. Providing you select the tick-box on the application form, if you are successful your name will be published as a newly qualified member on the ICE website and subsequently on the New Civil Engineer website.
If your application is not successful we will explain why, and you may be invited to attend an interview at a mutually convenient date and time. If you are ultimately unsuccessful and wish to appeal, you should follow our Appeals guidance.
What do I need to submit?
- A completed Mutual recognition application form. Please submit this and the supporting documentation in one single PDF no larger than 5mb to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application fee. Please refer to our application fees page for the current fee
- A detailed CV, with descriptions of the projects on which you have worked, including size, cost and positions of responsibility, as well as your key achievement
- Certified copies of your academic qualifications. If your courses are not already recognised for Engineering Council registration we may also need additional information about them and the knowledge assessment undertaken by your home institution (see further guidance in the application form).
- A certified copy of your professional institution membership certificate and engineering registration certificate
- Completed Sponsor questionnaires – see application form and the relevant sponsor questionnaire form for more information
- Your CPD records. Your professional development record for the last three years and a 12 month development action plan. Please refer to our CPD guidance , which includes templates for your DAP and PDR. We can alternatively accept your records for your home institution if they are in a similar format and cover the same specifications
- Evidence of your current professional competence in the field of civil engineering. If you are a CEng or IEng registrant, please use the Attribute achievement form to provide this evidence. For EngTech registrants, please use the Technician Standards achievement form. Your form should be read and signed by your lead sponsor to verify the evidence you are providing
All evidence submitted must be your own work. Please note the guidance on plagiarism and collusion explained in the relevant achievement form and in ICE’s code of professional conduct.
Please include all your evidence within the form itself. You should provide no more than 3 pages of evidence per attribute, which can include embedded diagrams or images if they help to demonstrate your competence. If you need to include additional images or drawings outside of the form they should be no more than 12 pages in total and should not include additional text. Please do not attach technical reports or appendices to your application
- Your diversity data. ICE is fully committed to valuing and representing the diversity of our members and applicants and we collect data to help us to monitor this. Please submit your data directly online within “My Profile” of your MyICE account. The information you provide will only be used in an aggregated form and you will never be individually identifiable. You can opt to decline to answer each or any of the questions if you wish
Find out more about ICE membership fees
Begin your application